One of the highlights of my year is Kosherfest. Picture a plethora of foodies gathered together to sample and discover some of the finest kosher (FREE) food. What could be better? As a 4th year veteran, I have learned the proper Kosherfest “technique” I begin my day by drinking a half cup of coffee and a banana in order to satiate my appetitate and give me stamina for this event. After 5 hours, two bags of samples (including a whole frozen fish), and a a stack of business cards, I could go home happy. It was a successful year. The show had more meat than last year, and gluten free products seemed to be the theme.
Below are my top 10 favorite booths (in no particular order).
Kosherfest Top 10
1) Jack’s Gourmet Sausage – Besides being the winner of the new product competition, the Jamaican Style Jerk Chicken sausages, were one of the many highlights of this company. Their display had different sausages, ranging from mild to spicy. The flavor combinations of each were excellent. This booth makes you question, what is a hot dog?
2) Don Rafael Olive Oil – One of the purest olive oils I’ve ever tasted. This new company, coming all the way from Chile, is starting to branch out in places around the world. Their olive oils are one of a kind. They use a process which takes the natural oils from an ingredient and mixes in with the olive oil. I have never tasted a purer flavor of orange, oregano, or ginger in olive oil. Great discovery!
3) West Side Kosher Foods – The Kosher Australian Lamb is now making an appearance to United States. This lamb is naturally raised, free range , pasture and organic fed. I tried some lamb meatballs that were great! I got the recipe and plan on making these soon!
4) Coconut Republic – Tastes like sugar! Low glycemic and in calories, this product is my new favorite find for sugar free diets. It behaves much like sugar when making caramel and the sweetness is comparable to sugar. They gave me a lot of free samples, which i plan on experimenting with!
5) 5th Avenue Chocolatiers – Yum.. just yum! Great chocolate! The best chocolate I sampled at the show!
6) Dorot Pesto – I’m usually not a fan of frozen pre packaged herbs, but this pesto rocked it! It comes in single servings, so it can be added to a pasta dish and voila! Great flavor and super convenient!
7) Recanati – Great wine! Can’t go wrong. By noon, the Special Reserve Cab/Merlot already ran out!
8) Tishbi Jam – I remember trying this last year and then finding it in William Sonoma. I bought two jars because I was so excited about the combination of jam and wine. The Passion fruit Champagne Jam won best new jam and overall product. Keep doing what you’re doing Tishbi!
9) Mimicreme – They are by far, one of my favorite discoveries. Say goodbye parve metallic tasting Riches Whip and say hello to Mimicreme. Made purely of nut milk, this product whips up like whipped cream and can be used as a creamer for coffee and milk for cereal.
Special note: Different package for whipping than the one for creamer substitute.
10) Carmona New York and Co – Cool collection of dishes! They have modern shapes and have even made appearances on TV and in movies. My favorite was the “Window Collection.”
*Check out “Ya That Happened” for a classic Kosherfest pickup line.
Me and Chef Matan Gutwaks of Care One.
|It’s happy hour somewhere….sipping a cocktail
Me and my assistant, Rebecca Barnett, made our first appearances as Alibabka at Kosherfest.
Photo Credits: Lauren Elefant